Monday 29 October 2007

Can't get enough of those sparkly skylines

I've been so slack at posting. Sorry. I have been quite busy. I'm in Hong Kong at the moment. As of tomorrow, if all goes to plan, I'll have my official Japanese work visa.

Hong Kong is an amazing place. It's closer to Singapore in style than Tokyo, but more rough round the edges. The buildings are a lot taller, and generally things are cheaper. A taxi from the office to my hotel cost 16 HKD. Which is a pound, for example.

It's sometimes hard on these trips to squeeze in a bit of sightseeing. But C's here and we've been busy when I've not been working. Upon arrival we found a nice cafe to have lunch. Did a bit of random wandering and then took the peak tram to a vantage point high above the city. (See attached photo). It was quite spectacular. It's hard to say whether the smog added or detracted from the view.

The Lonely Planet guide has been its usual, unreliable self. Both restaurants I selected last night had actually shut down, not something you want to discover after working up an appetite by walking to them. I really should stick to the Rough Guides. As well as noticing a vague trend for them to have more reliable information, I think they have significantly better maps.

1 comment:

John said...

Man i wish i'd know you where in HK. I was there at the same time!!